NEW YORK: 24 May 2022
An extraordinary session of the Synod of Bishops convenes
On Monday, 23 May, 2022, a meeting of the Synod of Bishops of the Russia Orthodox Church Outside of Russia was held, presided over by His Eminence Metropolitan Mark of Berlin and Germany. Participating in the meeting were His Eminence Archbishop Kyrill of San Francisco and Western America, Secretary of the Synod of Bishops; His Eminence Archbishop Gabriel of Montreal and Canada; His Eminence Archbishop Peter of Chicago and Mid-America; His Grace Bishop Irenei of London and Western Europe and His Grace Bishop Nicholas of Manhattan, Deputy Secretary of the Synod of Bishops.
A series of decisions were taken during the meeting:
- To establish a pre-Council commission consisting of: Archbishop Gabriel, Bishop Theodosius and Bishop Nicholas.
- To convene a Council of Bishops with the purpose of electing a First Hierarch of the Russian Church Abroad at the Synodal Residence in New York City on 13-21 September of this year.
- To express gratitude to His Eminence Metropolitan Joseph, Primate of the Antiochian Orthodox Church in North America; His Eminence Archbishop Michael of New York and New Jersey of the Orthodox Church in America, His Grace Bishop Gedeon of Makarovka, Vicar of the Kiev Metropoliate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, and all the representatives of the Local Orthodox Churches who participated in the funeral and burial of His Eminence Metropolitan Hilarion of blessed memory.
- To express gratitude to Bishop Nicholas, His Grace Bishop Luke of Syracuse and his brethren and seminarians, to Archpriest Andrei Sommer, the clergy, warden and sisterhood of the Synodal Cathedral of Our Lady "of the Sign," the Synodal Choir, to Hierodeacon Panteleimon (Jigalin) and all those who participated in organizing the funeral of Metropolitan Hilarion.
- To form a committee on the property of Metropolitan Hilarion consisting of: Bishop Nicholas, Fr Andrei Sommer and Fr Panteleimon. The committee is blessed to commence their work upon the fortieth day after the repose of Metropolitan Hilarion, which falls on 24 June.
- On Sunday, 26 June, the 2nd Sunday after Pentecost, as well as on the 40th day, to make special commemoration of Metropolitan Hilarion of blessed repose in all the churches and monasteries of the Russian Church Abroad.